The progress of the series that I am currently
creating is starting to pick up the pace with me being available to shoot
almost every day. There has been some slight errors on the actual technical
portion of the series with the learning curve of how exactly the blur will
accomplish the correct sense of movement and stability in the environment. The environments are causing a slight problem
with the amount of light that they are producing during times that the businesses
are open. The light is causing the long
exposures to completely erase the fact that there are moving figures throughout
the image. I have come to a solution,
making the individuals that are modeling and creating the blur to wear nothing
but lighter clothing and forcing them to move as they are in slow motion. With the individuals moving at slow speeds
and the clothing being a lighter color, this is making the blur almost perfect.
Another technical issue that I am currently running into is altering the
numerous images and layering them in Photoshop to create one flawless image.
With exposure times only lasting a few seconds, capturing a lot of movement in
a fairly intimate environment is almost impossible. The technical side of the
project is starting to finally reach the conceptual idea of the series.
The conceptual part of the series is
progressing faster than any aspect of the series. After talking with numerous people and
explaining what I had in mind at the beginning of the project has only made me
reevaluate exactly what I am trying to produce.
I had started with the idea that this said environment that I am trying
to portray is able to produce and shape individuals into what they believe
their “personality” is. I have realized
that the establishments that I am photographing didn’t open yesterday, or even
last year. They were built 60+ years
ago, even if the current restaurant or bookstore wasn’t open for business at the
time of the building being built yet the space that they occupy is the
same. Individuals have passed through
the space allowing them to claim that this bar, restaurant, or “favorite” spot
to hang out is what makes them this ideal individual, a person that cannot be
remade, when the reality is that hundreds of people have claimed the same space
as their own, yet they come and go and the space continues to be there without
alteration. I want to capture the sense
that the architecture of the space is not moving even though the changes in the
numerous people that travel in and out of the space. I am trying to influence the viewer to think
that even if they believe they are important, there are numerous people that
will follow them doing the exact same things, and believing that they are
making the environment completely different, when in fact they have not changed
the space at all.
No comments:
Post a Comment